Phenomenal . . .

Phenomenal . . .
Life, Growth, and Connection (This sunflower was nourished by my hands.) 2010; Photography by Benita Blocker. Please become a follower of this blog.

Total Pageviews

Friday, August 12, 2011

Pre-pay for a Hair Service? Hold or Fold?


You are probably wondering what does pre-pay have to do with hair? But hold that thought. This "prepay" image is from www.forward5.com. Okay, now that the photo credits are out of the way. I had a hair consultation with a client today that just totally blew my mind. Being self-employed for over eight years, I have learned when "to hold" and when "to fold." Today, I had to hold my ground. So here's what went down . . .

A hair consultation was scheduled by a Latino mom for her teenage daughter with Type 3 curl pattern. The consultation was free. The mom came into the salon four deep. It was her, her daughter, her Black girlfriend, and another young Black male. They came into the salon with fast food trash which they just dumped in the closest salon trash can without asking permission. You probably can tell that this consultation was getting off to a bad start? I tried to remain upbeat. I can deal with the trash and a few extra people at a free hair consultation. Really, I can. Continuing on . . . so I start the consultation. I see very fine, dense, curly hair with some "straight" ends from too much heat. (i.e. Heat damage) Overall, the hair was soft and seemed to be manageable, not easy to tangle. The mom was eager to know how I would straighten it. I introduced her to the stove and marcels. She was unfamiliar with this technique so she immediately asked her Black girlfriend about the tools. The Black girlfriend was more familiar with the ceramic flat iron which I immediately reminded them of the daughter's already straight, heat damaged ends that can be caused by flat irons. Of course, the tone of this consultation is shifting further downhill because the Black girlfriend was wearing a baseball cap with short layered, frizzy hair, and I just "shut her down." My personal thoughts were that she should be next in line for a hair consultation, but I stayed focus and professional. As I proceeded to answer the rest of the mom's hair questions about her daughter's hair, the Black girlfriend voluntarily leaves out of the salon with the other young man. We then finally complete the consultation about 10 more minutes later. The mom then lets me know that she is possibly interested in a Sunday appointment. I am thinking "You have got to be kidding." All of this energy that I have exerted and she needs a Sunday appointment???? I politely told her that I am not open on Sundays. She states that she has had a hard time finding someone open on Sunday to service her daughter. She asked if I would find it worth it to come in on a Sunday for the service. I told her not to be "cheesy" but if she wanted to pre-pay for the service then I will commit to a Sunday appointment. The ball was put back into her hands. "Pre-pay or no way."

2 comments: