Phenomenal . . .

Phenomenal . . .
Life, Growth, and Connection (This sunflower was nourished by my hands.) 2010; Photography by Benita Blocker. Please become a follower of this blog.

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Hair Battle Wounds: Confessions of a Hairstylist





Pictured is a "relaxer burn" down my neck from two days ago! Do you see the scab? It has been a battle. A real "OMG" /give me strength, wisdom, and patience was in order! So let me catch everyone up . . . I have coarse, resistant, type 4c hair and a sensitive scalp. My new growth had gotten to the point where I could not work with it in its natural state. I have some business meetings coming up and needed to Europeanize my look so I decided that it was time to relax my hair. I completed a strand test on some of hair that I had collected. The Chi Super Relaxer seemed to have left the test strands strong but a little dry. Please see separate articles for strand test, etc. I then completed the "first" relaxer service the following day after my strand test. The hair in the back of my head just did not process long enough because I started burning. Again, I have the battle wound pictured to show you that I was really needing to rinse the relaxer out. Luckily, my scalp did not suffer the same wound as my neck. I just do not think that my neck got the full rinse and neutralize. Accidental residue. But back to the story. My blowdry resulted in a slight afro in the back of my head. I straightened it, but it reverted by the next morning. Also, I should have trusted my strand test. My hair was too dry the next morning. I had some ends that were breaking. So the battle commenced again. I had a choice to put everything from organic coconut oil to Nexxus Humectress to Ultra Sheen on it. Smile. I put all three on it. I then tried to use the curling iron to re-straighten the back. I felt that I was burning my hair. So I was faced with the decision to either relax the back of my head again. Yes, one day later. Or keep burning it with the curling iron trying to keep it straight. No brainer for me . . . I went into the salon and used Onesta hydrating shampoo followed by Mizani Moistufuse conditioner. My hair felt 100% better. I rinsed out the conditioner and reviewed my curl pattern all over. The back of my head was just too underprocessed so I sat under the platform dryer to dry my hair without too much manuipulation. I based my scalp in the back of my head. I relaxed it again with Super Strength until I felt a burn. (I was determined to see what the Chi Super was capable of.) Luckily, the hair had become softer and more manageable. I still had some curl to it. I used the Mizani Moistufuse as the conditioner. I did the blowdry and marcels to straighten and curl. However, I was still looking like one of those women with relaxed hair that was past due for a touch-up.

I was ready to scream at this point. Two relaxer services in two days, and I am still not straight. I ran some errands with a ponytail style and a bang. You can not beat a ponytail! The next morning, the breakage on my pillow was significantly less. So the moisture level in the hair was much better, but I was still frizzy. So I told myself that God must not want me to have straight hair right now. So I wet it down again and put the KeraCare Defining Custard through it. I looked great. I went to run errands while my hair was still pretty damp. By the end of the day, I realized that my regular regimen of KeraCare Defining Custard had become very firm. (i.e. hard and stiff) In a word, my hair had done it to me again. I was a "hot mess!" Okay, I washed it again with the KeraCare Cleansing Cream followed by Mixed Chicks Leave-in conditioner. The frizzy afro was back within a couple of hours. Then I washed it again with the KeraCare Cleansing cream followed by the Sedal conditioner with Ouidad in it. I then sprayed the Ouidad Botanical Boost to prevent the KeraCare Defining Custard from setting too firm again. The results are the pictures above. I was finally happy. I am blessed that my hair withstood all of that within a 48 hour time period. I do not know if the Viviscal tablets that I take one a day made a difference, but it did not hurt.

God really works in mysterious ways. I was trying to get straight, relaxed hair, but that was not God's plan. We have to work within God's plan. The last few days have been a battle, but I think that God knew what He was doing! I had to adjust my wash n'go regimen a little, but I think that I have a style that I can deal with.

I must say that straightening the hair was not in vain. I performed two haircuts within two days. Once - right after each relaxer. It is all good. The last haircut was about five months ago.

Well, I am done with relaxing for about 8 weeks. By then, I should have a new relaxer system that I want to try. I have not given up on relaxers, but I have almost given up on ever being able to relax completely straight without burning. The saga will begin again in another 8 weeks when my one inch afro starts giving me styling challenges. Until then, I will let it grow, grow, grow while sporting my more texturized wash n' go look.

This hair battle has been fought with scars and all . . . however, I have lived to fight another day. Stay tuned for the next hair battle in a couple months. Smile. This sister has earned her medal of honor. My head is held proud. I could have "wigged it out" when it got tough, but I had promised myself . . . there is no turning back . . . you will tackle this type 4c hair with a sensitive scalp. There is too many sistahs out there depending on you!

I am charting waters that are not often sailed.

Most popular hairstylists seem to be either men with short hair or women that do not have Type 4 hair nor do they have a sensitive scalp.

My goal is long, healthy, semi-relaxed to relaxed "European-accepted" hair. I really feel that I am making headway. I just do not think that I have found the right relaxer yet. We will see within another few months. The saga will continue!

2 comments:

  1. I have been wondering if the Viviscal tablets could have interfered with the relaxer working. I will discontinue the Viviscal tablets a few days before my next relaxer service. That will eliminate one variable and give me a true opportunity to evaluate the next new relaxer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news: The True Indulgence relaxer system has been working great! I have used the Mild and the regular strengths. I know - I did not wait eight weeks, but at all costs, I was really needing to get my hair straight enough to prevent the weather from frizzing it. I am proud to announce that it is doing very well. Please see my True Indulgence relaxer articles. Also, I have seen the Chi relaxers being sold in the regular beauty supply stores. I am definitely finished experimenting with the Chi/Farouk relaxers. Thank God! Lol! Now, I really can laugh about this article!

    ReplyDelete