Phenomenal . . .

Phenomenal . . .
Life, Growth, and Connection (This sunflower was nourished by my hands.) 2010; Photography by Benita Blocker. Please become a follower of this blog.

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

August 2011 Hair Show: Floyd Kenyatta's Geodesic






I just returned from the August 2011 Bronner Brothers International Hair Show in Atlanta, GA. Floyd Kenyatta, an Ambassador for Paul Mitchell Systems, presented the Geodesic clipper cutting philosophy. The presentation featured a curved comb made completely of tourmaline and carbon fibers that can withstand heat up to 440 degrees Fahrenheit.

This curved clipper comb assists in condensed cutting of bobs and layers.

Surprisingly, I had a professional convex clipper comb set in my tool inventory. I did not know how to use them until I took this Geodesic class. Needless to say, I did not purchase this fancy curved comb because I felt the cutting technique was more important than the tool. After returning from the hair show, I remembered that I had given the convex clipper combs away. I then began my treasure hunt for Convex Clipper combs. Annie brand #11 seems to be the only ones left on the market. These combs cost about 10 times less if you can find them. The technology is over ten years old, but like style, it recycles.
I purchased a few extra convex clipper comb packs in case others want to experiment with the Geodesic clipper cutting method without a big investment into the "G6" curved comb.

The Annie brand features left and right side combs with handles. The combs can be hung on hooks.

Want to know how to use them? Let me know, and I will tell you!

1 comment:

  1. This Geodesic format was first invented by a man named Don Davis, originally called "Davis Curved Creations". I was sent to Mr. Davis' salon on the pier in San Diego, by Paul Mitchell, to help evaluate the system. I worked with Don and Jean Braa to learn about this crazy system. I was floored by it. Unlimited potential. I worked with and demonstrated these 3 curved combs, combined with an Oster clipper that was designed for the system, for about 5 years for both Paul Mitchell Systems and later, the inventor Don Davis.We (The Paul Mitchell group) introduced the curves at the New York Hair Show in 1987(I believe). I opened a salon and the East Coast Advanced Education Center for Paul Mitchell Associates in Richmond Va., in 1986, and met Mr. Kenyatta when he came in to welcome me to Richmond Va. He also had a salon in Richmond. Paul Mitchell Systems was developing exclusive distribution rights with people who were inventing and developing new tools and concepts. Don Davis, Brian Drumm, Hikari, Steven Jewel, I was sent to all of them to become familiar with these new tools because of my mechanical abilities and background. My job was to come back and teach these tools to P.M. Associates so that they could take the information to the masses. It was a magic time. New tools and techniques coming fast and furious, and Mr. Mitchell was at the forefront of it all, developing relationships with these inventors, developers, manufacturers so that P.M.S. was the top educational company on the planet. IT WAS BRILLIANT !!! Mr. Kenyatta invited me to do a P.M. class at his salon in Richmond at which time I introduced him to the curved combs. I started with a long straight hair mannequin. 10 haircuts later, it was a short Pixie. Every cut a different style. Amazing. Before tat years N.Y. Hair show there was a meeting of staff. At that meeting Paul asked if anyone knew a big name black hairdresser that could help P.M. to enter the ethnic market. I told him that I had just met the most famous Black hairdresser in the world maybe, Mr. Floyd Kenyatta. Paul asked to meet Mr. Kenyatta, so I approached Mr. Kenyatta to see if he would be interested in the meet with Paul. He was happy to, so we went to the N.Y hair show, and met with Paul and J.P. Mr. Kenyatta and I were interviewed by a couple of trade publications. American Salon Magazine actually broke the news. Floyd Kenyatta was to become the "World Wide Ambassador" for the new Division of P.M.S. and I was named the Liaison to Mr. Kenyatta. This lasted until Paul's demise. I left the Co. shortly after his death. I'm retired now and living in a little seaside town in Ma. Those days of the early P.M.S. hold my favorite memories of the industry. It was like a whirlwind of technology and education. I got to travel extensively. I got to spread legitimate education. I got to meet ALL of my heroes of the Industry, and work on stage along side of the very best of the best. I will praise Mr. Paul Mitchell for life because of the opportunities and doors that opened to me because of my connection to him and his Co. My name is Mye Kaloustian

    ReplyDelete