Phenomenal . . .

Phenomenal . . .
Life, Growth, and Connection (This sunflower was nourished by my hands.) 2010; Photography by Benita Blocker. Please become a follower of this blog.

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The Natural Hair Movement 2015


"Only ghetto chicks are still getting their hair relaxed."  This statement is the opinion of some  professional Black women as I heard through the grapevine. In addition, I went to a fraternity party last week, and I was surprised to see the number of flat twists, braids, Afros, and other naturals gracing the scene.  Relaxed hair was in the minority. Microlocks were in  minority.  The age range was 30 and up. It was a "grown and sexy" crowd.  So what is your opinion?

Here is my opinion:
  • Many Black women who have risen through corporate ranks have "mixed" hair to begin with.  So I can see how they feel that they can embrace their own natural/mixed hair. Relaxers were more of an enhancement for them, not a necessity.
  •  Majority of my clientele still get relaxers, and they are professionals who recognize that their hair does not fall into the "mixed" category so they conform by using the chemicals to do so.
  • In light of the fact that starting dreadlocks can be damaging to one's career, one's livelihood, one's sanity, and even one's life as it relates to police brutality, I plan to discontinue taking on new loc clients unless they are personally referred.  I realized that chemicals and salon tools can make my job easy, and I make more money offering chemicals. I have also added more safeguards to make the chemical processes healthier resulting in healthy hair with chemicals.
Any thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment