Phenomenal . . .

Phenomenal . . .
Life, Growth, and Connection (This sunflower was nourished by my hands.) 2010; Photography by Benita Blocker. Please become a follower of this blog.

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Self Esteem, Natural Hair and the Corporate Workplace

"Oh, you're the one that had those little things in your hair."  - A statement made to me regarding my locks based on memory of my Sisterlocks when they were initially installed.

My initial thought was "Those little things" is my hair that God gave me.  My actual reply was "yes, that was probably me."

In the seminar this past weekend, some natural hairstyles were shown in a powerpoint presentation.  I was disappointed because my curl pattern will not achieve those natural looks without being chemically processed first.  There was only one example of a  professional "locked" look and her dreadlocks were mid-back with color and curls in them.  That length in locks is not achieved overnight unless lock extensions are added.

So where am I going with this discussion?  My self-esteem has never been linked to my hair, but it is the education and the love and encouragement that my parents have given me without limitation.

Accepting my curl pattern and accepting where my curl pattern ranks in identifying "professional natural hairstyling" is critical.  Some mothers may feel my viewpoint is negative, and that I am promoting "self-hate."

On the contrary, I am a realist.  We all need to learn our own hair curl pattern and curl behavior relative to what is acceptable in the corporate workplace.

As my microlocks get longer, I am being told more and more that they are starting to look more "normal" as far as hairstyling goes.

I want to smile and scream at the same time.  I love me.  I believe that God made no mistakes in my design.

I encourage others to look at the "big picture" when it comes to hair and curl patterns, learn your place and make the adjustments that you need to achieve your career goals.

Updos, wigs, and weaves may be your best friend until you climb the corporate ladder where you want to be.

Until next time, stay encouraged and stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment