Phenomenal . . .

Phenomenal . . .
Life, Growth, and Connection (This sunflower was nourished by my hands.) 2010; Photography by Benita Blocker. Please become a follower of this blog.

Total Pageviews

Monday, July 2, 2012

The Press and Curl Regimen to beat the HEAT!

The Summer Heat is on, and the only "Afro Circus" that you want to see is probably in the latest Madagascar III movie! (Loved it!!! in 3D! :)

On a more serious note . . . Are you all natural and want a press and curl service that will beat the heat?

I have been tweaking this regimen for years! This one is the best one yet!!!!!

Tools needed: Kizure Pressing Comb, pressing pad (optional), paddle brush, Marcel curling iron and stove.

Products needed: KeraCare 1st Lather sulfate-free shampoo, Bee Mine Botanical Moisturizing Shampoo, Mizani Moistufuse conditioner, Chi Silkeratin17 treatment, Joico Detangling Leave-in, Pureology SuperSmooth Elixir, Kayvel Creme Press, and Kayvel Curling Wave.

Technique: 1) Shampoo with KeraCare 1st Lather Sulfate-free shampoo once or twice if hair is extremely oily from a hot oil treatment, etc. 2) Shampoo with Bee Mine Botanical Moisturizing Shampoo two or three times until hair feels soft. 3) Towel blot the hair and generously apply the Mizani Moistufuse conditioner through out the hair. Comb the Moistufuse conditioner through the hair. Spray the Chi Silkeratin17 fortifying treatment through the hair layering the treatment on top of the Moistufuse conditioner. Comb through and apply the Silkeratin17 everywhere that the comb is catching in the hair. As soon as you are completely detangled from the Chi and Mizani cocktail, then sit under the platform dryer for about 15 minutes. Not much longer because most of your work is already done . . . you detangled before going under the dryer remember? 4) Rinse the treatment out and apply your two leave-in conditioners for your blow-dry service. (Joico Leave-in detangler and Pureology Supersmooth Elixir) Comb through to distribute evenly. 5) Blowdry completely, start warming up the pressing comb, and then apply your Kayvel creme press. Distribute a nickel size amount emulsified in your hands trhoughout the hair, and that is all that you need. Comb the creme press to finish even distribution through the hair. 6) Test the pressing comb to make sure it is not too hot. Grab your pressing pad if you have one. Soft press the hair all over with pressing comb and pressing pad if your comb is starting to cool down on lengthy hair. The hair should be manageable by combing through without being bone straight. Warm up your marcel irons. 7) Comb the hair into a ponytail. If there are any extremely uneven ends, clip some of the hair ends off. Apply your a nickel size of Kayvel Curl wave emulsified in your hands throughout the hair. Comb through for even distribution 8)Test your marcel iron. Begin curling your hair and clipping the curls down until they cool down.

Then voila - your core press and curl is complete! If you need smoother edges, then decide if you need a temple pressing comb (small pressing comb) or just some smooth edge styling aids.

Results: Soft, straight hair without the grease! Very humidity resistant too!

Let me know how you like this technique and product selection!!!!

18 comments:

  1. does it HAVE to be a hot comb? could i use the creme press and a flat iron?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi b.labelle: My followers know that I discovered that the ionic flat irons are damaging to the internal structure of the hair strands therefore causing long term integrity challenges. So I suggest using a big barrel curling iron or the pressing comb. I hope that I answered your question indirectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should I just use the Silkertain 17 for the conditioning step ,instead of the combination with the Moisturfuse, since my hair is so fine and soft?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chenoe123: The Silkeratin17 is a spray protein booster/fortifier. Be careful with it. The Moistufuse is the most important conditioner, but use the Silkeratin sparingly to assist with the roots straightening out. It is not a heavy product so it will not weigh your hair down. Thanks for your patience. I have been soooo busy lately. Talk to you again soon I am sure! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! If I'm using the Silkeratin 17 treatment weekly , should I still do my mothley Redken CAT treatment?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to invest in a curling wand and curling iron. What would be the idle temp for starting off curling fine, thin, soft hair? Also can I use the PM extra hold hairspray after this regime, or would it be overkill?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Chenoe123: I recommend low heat around 300 degrees and increase from there if needed. Paul Mitchell Hairspray lightly before using the curling iron then a light mist after you are all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I'm using the Silkeratin 17 treatment weekly , should I still do my mothley Redken CAT treatment

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Chenoe123: Great question! Definitely discontinue the Redken CAT. The Silkeratin17 has enough protein in it. You may need to monitor the moisture level. If the weather is dry heat in your area, then back off the protein. Protein plus dry heat is not a healthy combo. High humid weather works best with the protein fortifiers. Daily moisture sprays can be beneficial during dry heat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As you know I am in the processing of growing out my thin, soft, 6 months post relaxed hair. This week I did your beat the heat regime, and it came out great! I used a comb attachment hair dryer and just a curling iron. But is it safe to use the hair dryer and curling iron every week? I was thinking I could maybe do roller sets every other week and stick my hair in a bun. I don't won't to overkill my hair with all that heat, but I read someone that roller sets were stressful on natural hair....Help! I know everybody hair is unique and different but from my description of my hair ...what would you recommend? This regime with heat every week or This regime every week with heat one week and roller setting the next, if you do recommend roller sets , I know you would not use the Pureology SuperSmooth Elixir but is their anything else you would delete....Ahh this hair thing is hard!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wet sets are perfect for natural hair! I would use perm rods, flexi-rods, or curl transformers for the wet sets. This would be a low maintenance hairstyle that will last a week or two.

    On a separate note, I am happy that the regimen worked for you! You asked about heat every week . . . I do not recommend this if you are wanting to grow length. Wet sets as much as possible leaving the heat styling for special events.

    Also, I do not recommend the magnetic roller sets on transitioning hair because they do not blend the new growth in.

    As far as wet set setting agents: Jane Carter Solutions Wrap n Roll Foam would deliver you a nice soft set. Outside of the Joico Leave-in Detangler and a setting agent/foam, that's all you would need to wet set.

    Sounds like you are starting to get the hang of your four months post relaxer hair!!! You may be ready to start blogging yourself! Smile.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Got ya! What about blow drying though? Is it possible to do this weekly are would you save it for special events as well?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Chenoe123: I prefer blow-dry styles for special events if you can bare through the curlier hairstyles. The Silkeratin17 can potentially be overkill for weekly use.

    ReplyDelete