Phenomenal . . .

Phenomenal . . .
Life, Growth, and Connection (This sunflower was nourished by my hands.) 2010; Photography by Benita Blocker. Please become a follower of this blog.

Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Syntonics relaxer test on Sisterlocks hair


I had been in search of a replacement for the VitalePro High Comfort relaxer system.  I was looking for a lye relaxer that was tolerable to sensitive scalps.  So far, Syntonics straightens without much irritation.  I used the "mild" relaxer strength.  I only relaxed a few symmetric patches of hair around my hairline.  I rinsed the relaxer out  with my face down so that runoff water did not get into the rest of my locked hair.  My plan was to texturize versus making my hair too straight.  So far, it passes my initial testing requirements.

NOTE:  The neutralizing shampoo and conditioner both have soothing/cooling properties built in.  Some people will love it.  Others may not.  

3 comments:

  1. Hi Benita- Did you relax the hairline to tame a few unruly hairs? Or just to test the product? Considering SL and I have a growing but shorter hairline curious about how that's going to work out in the beginning. Especially since you're not allowed to use any products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pamela Dawn! My hair is resistant so unless I get it bone straight, it will eventually revert. So I relaxed the hairline to test the relaxer system. Unless I edge gel it, no one knows that I "texlaxed" my edges.

      Delete
  2. I had a microlock client request a relaxer around her hairline. It was at this point that I realized how confusing this article is. I DO NOT RECOMMEND Loc clients use relaxer on their hair. USE a pressing comb or Flat iron around your hairline if the edge gel will not maintain the polish look that you desire. The only reason why I as a cosmetologist and salon owner put a little relaxer on a portion of my hairline was to test the sensitivity factor of the relaxer. I had to keep the placement of the relaxer symmetric because symmetry is good when it comes to hair. So if someone wants to relax their own hairline at home, then that is their prerogative. I DO NOT encourage this practice. Please note relaxer touchups only last until the next touchup so really, it would defeat the purpose long term especially if the hair goes straight. I hope this comment clarifies my position on relaxer and locs. They DO NOT MIX.

    ReplyDelete