Phenomenal . . .

Phenomenal . . .
Life, Growth, and Connection (This sunflower was nourished by my hands.) 2010; Photography by Benita Blocker. Please become a follower of this blog.

Total Pageviews

Monday, July 18, 2011

Product Review: Design Essentials Curl Cleanser and more

I apologize that my lighting was not better for this product picture, but nonetheless, the curl cleanser was great at cleansing without dehydrating my curls. I still prefer the KeraCare Cleansing Cream, but the Design Essentials Curl Cleanser will be my "go to" for deep cleansing after a week long stretch of leave-in conditioners. Overall, I like it!

As for the curl stretching cream, it is a little heavy. Extremely porous hair is going to soak it up like a sponge. I discovered this with a client who had permanently colored her Type 4b/c hair. We blowdried the hair according to the Design Essentials natural styling guide, then we used the Design Essentials Curl Stretching Cream to make individual twists. Her hair absorbed soooo much product that it was very hard to get it dry. Two hours under the dryer would probably be generous. The oil that her hair soaked up was enough for a solid week without worrying about drying out.

I have noticed quite a few products seem to soak into Type 4 hair and create a wet sponge effect if the Type 4 hair is damaged or extremely porous.

Honestly, when Type 4 hair becomes that damaged, plan to gradually cut it off. I will be very difficult to manage and easy to frizz. Repeated excessive thermal/heat can cause damage, and sometimes permanent color can cause this damage as well.

So be careful . . . when hair is "overcooked" - you eventually have to start over.

No comments:

Post a Comment