Phenomenal . . .

Phenomenal . . .
Life, Growth, and Connection (This sunflower was nourished by my hands.) 2010; Photography by Benita Blocker. Please become a follower of this blog.

Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Why does some people's hair grow lopsided?

 There are people in this world like me that always seem to have uneven hair.  One side has always grown in differently than the other side. Historically, for all my life, I would always get breakage on my right back side of my head.  I always was proned to lopsided hair.  So why is that?  During my 2014 Sisterlocks training, I discovered something amazing.  The curl pattern on my left side of my head is slightly looser than the right side of my head.

If you look at the pictures above with the hair strands in the water, then you will be able to see that the diameter of my curl revolutions are two different sizes.  Also, the looser curl pattern remained floating at the top of the water, but my tighter curl pattern sunk to the bottom of the glass.  I had an "aw-haw" moment.  Two different curl patterns that were behaving differently in water. This was surreal.  I now realized that my hair on my head has always had two different needs as far as regimens.

My looser curl pattern remained a long strand, but the tighter curl pattern seemed so fragile that I only could grab short strands.  Simply amazing.  So the reason why my hair has historically grown in lopsided is because I had two different curl patterns on each side of my head.  The side that was most sensitive to breakage has the tightest curl pattern.  By locking my hair and staying away from chemicals, I believe for once in my life, I will be able to maintain even length hair.

If you are interested in checking out your own head for curl pattern variations, then try this texture test:

1) Get a clear tumbler of water and sit it on paper that is the opposite color of your hair.
2) Make sure there is at least 3 inches of water in the glass.  You want to see if your hair sunks to the bottom of the glass or not
3) Harvest strands from various areas of your head by running your fingers through your natural hair or your locks.
4) Put the strands into the glass of water and see if they float or sunk .  Look at the curl diameters to compare if they are all consistent or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment