Phenomenal . . .

Phenomenal . . .
Life, Growth, and Connection (This sunflower was nourished by my hands.) 2010; Photography by Benita Blocker. Please become a follower of this blog.

Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Foil Placement: Quality versus Quantity

Hair by Benita Blocker. 2013. 

 Hair by Benita Blocker. 2013

Hair by Benita Blocker. 2013.

This client was ready for highlights. Can you guess how many foiled pieces that I picked up to achieve this highlighted look?

I used the term "foiled pieces" because a few slices were foiled using the sandwich method which is when two foils are used on one slice of hair.  The term "slices" is a parting term for hair by the way.

Okay, time's up!  How many "slices" or "pieces" did I foil up for this look?  Eleven (11)!  Can you believe it?

Foils that are sliced and strategically placed can give the illusion of many highlights.

I only foiled within the top large "horseshoe" area. I used the Wella Blondor Lightener and cellophane foils.

Some people are afraid of bleach, but it's the safest way of lifting "black colored" hair.  The client may be naturally black or artificially black.  Permanent haircolor does not lift permanent haircolor so if you need a significant color "lift, " lightener or color remover usually has to be used first.

I blow dried and styled the client's hair with the traditional stove and marcel iron. I also kept the highlights an inch away from the scalp area because she is a client who gets relaxers about every 8 weeks.

Fiberguard Affirm is the only relaxer system that I trust for double processed hair.  Those with a sensitive scalp may be sensitive to the Fiberguard relaxer system; therefore, I do not recommend double processing anyone with a sensitive scalp or extremely resistant hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment