Phenomenal . . .

Phenomenal . . .
Life, Growth, and Connection (This sunflower was nourished by my hands.) 2010; Photography by Benita Blocker. Please become a follower of this blog.

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Tips from my Wella Color Classes- June 2014

First of all, I told three or four hairstylists about these two local Wella color classes.  None of them showed up.  I value continuing my education.  Every instructor offers different knowledge.  Of course, those of you that follow my blog, learn what I learn.

So the first tip is regarding skin and/or strand testing.  The instructor made two great points about strand testing.

  1. If the client is young and new to haircolor, then there is a chance that they can be allergic to the haircolor.  A skin test may be needed a few days before the color service.
  2. If the client is new and has long hair, then the history of the hair can factor into the results of your color service so it is better to spend an extra 30 minutes watching haircolor process on a "strand test" versus completing the whole head  and encountering uneven color results or breakage.  Correcting uneven results can take you an extra four hours and who wants to overprocess already weak hair?  

The second tip that I want to share with you is in regards to multi-dimensional haircoloring.  I learned a long time ago to use two different color foils, but what "hit home" for me this time was the bending the foil over the rattail comb to show your foil color.  Many times in the past, I would lose focus and would have to flip the foil over to check on the color of the foil because all the foil looks the same on the back side of it.

 By always keeping a glimpse of the foil color, it speeds up the foiling service because it is all color coordinated.  The bend in the foil make the biggest difference in keeping the colorist on track.

The third tip is regarding those measurement lines at the bottom of the haircolor mixing bowls.  The inch lines are for when you need to add extra pigment to a color formula.

One extra ribbon of haircolor per level that you are trying to achieve.  If you are at a 2:1 ratio of developer to color, then I would not worry about adjusting the developer amount, but if you are 1:1, then more developer may need to be added.

This is the first time that any instructor has suggested how to use these lines at the bottom of the bowl.  I will have to further research if each line can be used to equal a specific amount of ounces.

Great tips- right?  I have already been able to put in practice what I learned in the two classes (Fundamental Foiling and Corrective Color).

No comments:

Post a Comment