Phenomenal . . .

Phenomenal . . .
Life, Growth, and Connection (This sunflower was nourished by my hands.) 2010; Photography by Benita Blocker. Please become a follower of this blog.

Total Pageviews

Friday, July 22, 2022

Ten Years Sisterlocks Anniversary

 


The ten year journey of self maintenance by hand interlocking.


Thank you for continuing to support my blog on hair. I have returned back to the corporate America track. I still work part-time in the salon. I still primarily provide relaxer and crochet braids services.

My Sisterlocks articles from the beginning of my loc journey get a lot of views.

Now, it's ten years later, and it's one of the leading edge decisions that I made. Some feel that my Sisterlocks should be longer. To those people, I say "mind your business." I am not in competition. It's àlways been me against me. Many people always have had me twisted. I was doing protective styling before it was called "protective styling."

Sisterlocks have become a polished acceptable look to even sit on the Supreme Court of the United States. I see all types of professional women who hàve followed my lead directly or indirectly.

Sisterlocks and self maintenance is about freedom and beauty. I still had to learn my natural hair needs that is unique to me. I keep the Wave Nouveau finishing mist around as needed. Usually, I spray daily.

I try to self tighten as many locs as I can before each shampoo service to keep the water weight down.

I also keep any locs that I may lose. I have learned to reuse my own hair to extend locs that may be shorter for whatever the reason.  I also make Loc extension units.  Sometimes seven extra locs attached using invisible thread can be enough to deliver a thicker look in the crown area. Because Sisterlocks recommend different sizing based on the different sections of the head- the Sisterlocks do not need the same frequency of tightening. The smaller ones may need four weeks but the medium or larger ones can stretch tightenings to 7 weeks. Who schedules a partial head of tightenings? Most people don't. It is too much of a hassle to find a good Sisterlocks professional. I stand by self maintenance for my length. People can not tell that you have inconsistent new growth that needs tightening.

Overall, my Loc journey was one helluva ride but I own it and look forward to my 15 years anniversary. Thanks for being a part of my journey.

~Benita, 2022, 10 year locversary!






2 comments: