Phenomenal . . .

Phenomenal . . .
Life, Growth, and Connection (This sunflower was nourished by my hands.) 2010; Photography by Benita Blocker. Please become a follower of this blog.

Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Loc Nation Continues in Marvel's Black Panther Movie

Collage: "African Venus" 1851 sculpture by Charles Henri Joseph Cordier 
to the left of my center picture. 
To the right, Angela Bassett as a fictional Marvel Comic's Wakandan queen in "Black Panther" movie (2018)

110 pre-made Locs were used to make the white dreadlock wig according to Pop sugar article:  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.popsugar.com/beauty/Angela-Bassett-Hair-Black-Panther-44592642/amp

I prayed to God for a vision for my hair after my frustratration over how to control it was at an all time high. The vision in 2012 was revealed as "small twisted hair all over my head."  As I began to research this concept, I quickly discovered that others had already had the same vision.  As a beauty professional who was new to the locking process, I selected Sisterlocks because it was trademarked and seemed to be a structured organization.  I have been a locked natural since then (2012).

Now, regarding the movie itself, The "Black Panther" movie title stimulated many plot ideas.

  1. The Black Panther Movement
  2. A Black Superhero who saves the World from the Bad guys 
  3. The original Comic Book storyline from the 1960's



Acrylic painting by Benita Blocker for Black Panther Fan Art Challenge.

I thought that the plot was option number 2:  Another Superhero to save the World.  Imagine that: A Black Superhero saving the World from destuction. However, wrong answer.

Plot option 3 is the storyline of this 2018 movie. I was disappointed at first, but I learned to appreciate it for what it was: tribal warfare and a fight for the throne. I saw it twice in two days. It was fast paced and entertaining.  You will have to judge for yourself by seeing it! If you are a Marvel Comic fan and know the Black Panther storyline, then you are set to enjoy it!

Now, to share more insights on the movie.  I have a guest writer Natiya Bennett to explain:

 . . .  (I usual see multiple perspectives as I was a media student, but from our culture as well). I saw it as a community fighting to maintain its own identity and hidding its resources. Keeping in mind how many of our communities are being lost to regentrification once the white people see our treasure. They want it and misuse it but don't want to be us. Then what they was after ends up lost. They usually destroy us. So there was that conflict of part of the culture holding on to doing the tradition and staying in the safe zone vs. the other part of our community who wants to see a change and intergrate. Also in the end I saw the subtle message that we need to buy back our neighborhoods and invest in ourselves. So yes on the surface it was just a movie from someones childhood.  The middle layer was the typical presentation of us in media, and on the top layer was the subliminal consciousness message. The amount experiences and knowledge one has determines which of those layers one sees. In essence we are all right in our opinions. Personally my only critique of this film is the graphics seemed to be in slow motion such as the fight scenes and car chases. ~Natiya Bennett



Many people selected to dress in African inspired attire or some positive "Black Excellence" message.  However, I rushed out on Thursday night in my dressy casual clothes, but opted for my sorority paraphernalia and "My Black is Beautiful T-shirt" for my second viewing.  So it is all good!  The movie is breaking box office records. Check it out and judge for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment