Phenomenal . . .

Phenomenal . . .
Life, Growth, and Connection (This sunflower was nourished by my hands.) 2010; Photography by Benita Blocker. Please become a follower of this blog.

Total Pageviews

Monday, July 6, 2015

Soapbox Talk: The Beauty Industry 2015


Beauty Supply Stores
Most of the Beauty Supply stores sell hair, wigs, accessories, makeup, clothes, caps and more.  There are only a few aisles now that are actually stocked with hair products or Hair tools.  That means that people are either going natural where "less is best" or they are wearing a lot of protective styling (i.e. weaves or wigs)  This is amazing to me.

Print Ads
From Whole Foods groceries to Marshalls fashions to banking ads, almost every women of color has a short curly afro or a "braid out" or "wash and go" curls.  I have not seen a print ad with relaxed hair on a woman of color lately. This is amazing to me.

Day to Day Public Appearances
As I attend gatherings or go shopping,  I am simply amazed that by looking at people's hair all around me that I can tell that going to the beautician seems to not be a priority any more. Natural hair is everywhere. The afro with the headband or the pineapple top are the most popular natural hairstyling that I see.  There does not seem to be a glamour competition in my area except with the younger ladies with the vixen weaves.

People's opinion on Locking their Hair
"African Venus" 1851 sculpture by Charles Henri Joseph Cordier

Forming dreadlocks apparently has been a natural instinct for Africans from the 1800's and beyond.  I have even seem some mummy pictures floating on the Internet with dreadlocks.  However, 9 out of 10 times if I offer locs as a long term natural hair solution, Black women immediately have a brain freeze thinking "forever" locked.  Their excuse is that they want more styling options; yet, 9 out of 10 times that I see them, their hair is in the exact same headband or  afro puff on top of their head.  Well, you get the idea.  Dreadlocks are no more permanent than any other chemical service, but women are so scared of them.  I do not think that locs are for everyone's lifestyle, but I know for a fact that I can get  20 times the styling options as my locs continue to gain length than many of the natural loose hair sistahs walking around. Each to his own, but I am simply at a loss for words for the cosmetology industry.  Between the barbers and the braiders, cosmetologists are losing out on clientele.

I am personally going to stick with relaxers, smoothing treatments, and locs. Let's see what changes 2016 brings.


No comments:

Post a Comment