Phenomenal . . .

Phenomenal . . .
Life, Growth, and Connection (This sunflower was nourished by my hands.) 2010; Photography by Benita Blocker. Please become a follower of this blog.

Total Pageviews

Friday, May 29, 2015

Saltwater: Hair Dehydration and Breakage!

Salts are used to cure or "dehydrate" meats as well as to de-ice in the winter.

So as you are enjoying scuba diving, snorkeling, and other water sports at the ocean, please pre-treat your hair!  Those with permanent hair coloring definitely should be on extra alert!

Try to pre-condition the hair with coconut oil before going into the ocean.  Swim caps may also be an option for those with relaxers and permanent haircolor.  A spray leave-in conditioner like the Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 Miracle worker can also be beneficial to spray throughout the day.

Last year, I definitely saw some breakage from those clients returning from saltwater activities while on vacation.  I just made the connection this year after reviewing one of my clients' profile to trace back where we saw a drastic change in her hair.   Then in my notes, I realized that we relaxed her hair right after her return from a vacation full of water sports.  I only wrote down the "vacation" trip, but I asked her recently if she remembered much saltwater getting into her hair.  The more she pondered, the more she realized that the areas of her hair that we saw the most drastic change was where the hair probably absorbed the most saltwater.

Swim caps may not protect the hair line from the saltwater, but I really encourage extra care with your hair if you are enjoying the ocean.

Have a Great Summer!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment