When to use a small paddle brush or a traditional denman brush?
- Blow-drying Type 4 curl patterns - You need a smaller brush to get in and control the roots.
- Blow-drying smaller areas like the nape, around the ears, and side burns or use a smaller round brush.
- Blow-drying resistant hair regardless of the length.
When to use a large paddle brush?
- Blow-drying fresh relaxed hair.
- Blow-drying wavy and slightly curly hair.
- Blow-drying very long straight hair when straightness is desired for final styling.
- Wrapping a roller set for final styling to remove the partings.
Rule of Thumb
The size of the brush should give you an idea of the parting size or sections that you will take to blow-dry. So if you have a bunch of small plaits to blow-dry, then you pick a smaller size brush even if the hair is very long. On the flip side, if you are dealing with naturally straight hair, then larger sections are fine for speed drying.