Phenomenal . . .

Phenomenal . . .
Life, Growth, and Connection (This sunflower was nourished by my hands.) 2010; Photography by Benita Blocker. Please become a follower of this blog.

Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Wet Set Experiment: Perm Rod versus Rollers




Pictured from left to right:  red Magnetic roller, red Hard Mesh roller,  pink Perm Rod.  I used pics to secure the mesh roller in place as well as to prevent the perm rod from flipping over.  All three rollers/rods are the same size barrel diameter.

Looking closer at the perm rod, doesn't it look solid and heavy? 


Well, to my surprise, it is not!  It is light in weight and hollow.  Wow!  I did not see that coming!

Well, it gave me another idea.  Why not drop some hair down the barrel and see what type of curl forms?  I used a multi-purpose clip to suspend the large perm rod vertically.  That proves that the rod is lightweight.


 The results were interesting and cute.  I used the Vitale Pro 3 in 1 Design Lotion for the vertical perm rod set.

 I poured this Design Lotion into a spray bottle to dispense it on the hair for the vertical curl.  It delivers a firm hold.

 As for the perm rod versus rollers, I found that the harder and the thicker the plastic, the firmer the set regardless of the setting lotion.  I actually used the NEW! Lotta body Olive oil "ready to use" setting lotion for the three top rod and rollers.

It delivers a softer set than the original Lottabody "Ready to Use" formula. The drying time is all about the same.  I had to dry the mannequin head in an awkward position, so I can not confirm that all three rods and rollers got the same consistent dryer heat.  I will update the drying time information in the future as I experiment with the large perm rods more.

But  without a doubt, the cheaper and the thinner the plastic of the roller, the less firm the set will be.  So I do trust the Diane brand for rods and rollers.

11 comments:

  1. As always, thanks so much for your feedback! I appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you buy those large pink perm rods? I cant find them at any sallys, not even online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alicia! You did not mention if you were a hairstylist or not. I picked up these Marianna Jumbo Concave Perm Rods in 1 3/8" Burgundy pack from one of my distributors. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow! You replied! I wasnt sure if you were actively checking this! That means alot, thanks for clarifying, I am not a hairstylist, so Im assuming it isnt available to the public? Do you know why that is? These perm rods would be perfect for me. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. but, providing the name has helped tremendously! :-) thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I would think a beauty superstore that has a salon associated with it should have this size.

      Delete
  5. I will be ordering them and trying what you did. Love your blog, very helpful! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to help! Thanks for following up too!

      Delete