Phenomenal . . .

Phenomenal . . .
Life, Growth, and Connection (This sunflower was nourished by my hands.) 2010; Photography by Benita Blocker. Please become a follower of this blog.

Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Open Floor Plan versus Closed Floor Plan



Take a walk with me down memory lane: I remember being serviced in a mall salon for a "press and curl service" . . . I remember the salon being an "open floor plan." I remember my blow-dry service left me looking like "Don King" before the pressing part of the service began. I remember people walking through the mall passing by the salon only to backtrack to see my hair standing straight up on top of my head. Servicing natural "Black hair" can draw quite a crowd especially in a mall.

For someone like Don King (celebrity promoter pictured here) whose signature look is his hair standing straight up, an "open floor plan" similar to the one pictured here is not a big deal. However, many Black women prefer a more "closed-in booth" away from the public eye.

When choosing a salon layout, remember the privacy of your clientele. Celebrities definitely want more privacy, and every client wants to feel like a celebrity when they leave out the door.

Most salons specializing in quick haircuts will more than likely be an "open floor plan." Salons that offer more chemical services should consider more "closed-in" floor plans with semi-private stations.

No comments:

Post a Comment