Phenomenal . . .

Phenomenal . . .
Life, Growth, and Connection (This sunflower was nourished by my hands.) 2010; Photography by Benita Blocker. Please become a follower of this blog.

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Relaxers: Alternating between Mild and Regular?

Please don't call the relaxer police! Yes, I did it again . . . 3 weeks 6 days later . . . I relaxed my hair again.



However, I used the Mild strength of the True Indulgence relaxer. As you can see from the pictures, it did not straighten my hair as well as the regular strength did. However, my new growth at about 4 weeks was giving me a "fit." I had a mini-afro underneath the already relaxed hair. You can get away with a mini-afro if you have really long hair, but it is harder to camouflage when sporting a shorter haircut. As you can see from my picture at the end of this article, I did not lose much hair. This was all the hair in the bowl after completing the whole relaxer service. For some people, the amount of hair pictured in my hand is equivalent to a normal non-chemical shampoo. So it was a very safe relaxer service. I fear that I will have to relax again within another four weeks. I will have to decide if I want to use mild strength every four weeks until I get a solid three inches of hair in the back, then go to regular strength every 7 weeks? Or do I want to try alternating between mild and regular strength every four weeks? I am thinking the regular strength will correct the mild strength plus give me a little straighter roots. Since I used the regular strength True Indulgence relaxer about four weeks ago and still needed a touch up four weeks later . . . I really will have to see if this mild strength will get me to the four weeks mark before I can decide on a relaxer touchup regimen that works for me.

With that said, remember every one's hair is different. I have more coarse, resistant, type 4c hair. So "what works for me" may be "overkill" for a fine, type 4c hair.

Also, I noticed a number of bloggers and youtube videographers who were very focussed on achieving "bra strap length (BSL)" or "armpit length (APL)." However, if they continue using ceramic flat irons, then they may get there, but it will eventually break back off. They will forever battle maintaining their length. I have seen it time and time again. (i.e. the reason that neither my clients nor I use flat irons in my salon.) The flat irons are not a friend to "long, curly hair." I have quite a few recent articles including the flat iron free pledge. Also, if you take the flat iron free pledge, then you can NOT cheat! No more flat irons at all . . . if 200 to 300 degrees will not straighten your hair, then 400 degrees may straighten; yet, you will be causing internal damage. Internal damage will come back to bite you one day with continued abuse.

While on the topic of length, I am also focussed on long term length for my own hair. However, for the short term, I am keeping the back trimmed. That Chi Deep Brilliance Super strength relaxer really fried/dried some my ends out. I think that I have about trimmed away the last of them. I know a few of the new followers are probably thinking why did you use a super strength relaxer anyway? Well, I used the super strength in the Paul Mitchell relaxer system quite regularly and loved it. It was not strong enough to hold my hair straight so I had concluded that the "White/mainstream" super relaxers are not as strong as the "Black/ethnic" super relaxers. Oh boy, the Chi/Farouk Super strength relaxer proved that theory WRONG. That relaxer was absolutely ridiculously drying to my hair and it did not even straighten it all the way. I even got a chemical burn down my neck from the runoff. I am going to assume that I got a defected batch of this Super strength, but Lord knows -- it is off my list of ever trying again. Also, I noticed the "Vietnamese beauty supply" stores are selling the very same relaxer to regular people without a cosmetology license. Please see my article on "Hair Battle Wounds" if you want to live through that relaxer experience.

One last topic: Determining when it is time for a relaxer touchup? If you are tempted to use the curling iron everyday because your new growth is showing, then it is time for a relaxer touchup. Everyday heat from a curling iron is going to still cause damage. Luckily, you will see the damage more immediately than if you are flat ironing it. Damage is still damage. Whether you see it sooner or later, damage is what you are trying to avoid. With that said, box relaxers are a "no no." Any relaxer that you have to mix is a "no no." The safest relaxers are sodium hydroxide based relaxers. Some of the lithium hydroxide relaxers are "no mix." However, I think that the lithium hydroxide relaxers leave buildup in the hair similar to the "box" relaxers which are usually calcium hydroxide based.

Hopefully, I have tackled all angles on choosing relaxer touchup over excessive curling iron use. Also, this article serves as a review on the mild strength True Indulgence relaxer. My clients and I are still very, very pleased with the True Indulgence relaxer. I had a client yesterday mentioned how her daily maintenance has been so much easier with this relaxer. I was happy. For me, my search is over. I really like the True Indulgence relaxer system. Stay tuned. I will keep you posted on how long this mild strength touchup lasts . . .

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to mention that I discontinued the Viviscal tablets a few days before I relaxed. I was debating back and forth to relax or treat. So I stopped taking the Viviscal in case the relaxer won, and as you can tell . . . I decided to relax over treat. The treatment that goes along with the True Indulgence relaxer system was going to have to suffice, and it did.

    ReplyDelete