Phenomenal . . .

Phenomenal . . .
Life, Growth, and Connection (This sunflower was nourished by my hands.) 2010; Photography by Benita Blocker. Please become a follower of this blog.

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Product Corner: Optimum Smart Lye Relaxer

Johnny Wright introduced the new Soft Sheen Carson Keratin Whipped Creme Relaxer at the August 2011 Bronner Brothers Hair Show. They gave us sample sizes to try out. Anyone interested? Call me!
Celebrity hairstylist Johnny Wright says that Michelle Obama did well with this relaxer. The hair still felt strong after the relaxer. The model on stage had received this new "Smart Lye" relaxer as well. It has a patent pending formula. I have searched on the Internet for more information on "Smart Lye" but I keep seeing the exact same wording. 25% less sodium hydroxide. I have no idea what is supplementing this relaxer formula. I am a little skeptical of it. I did not see the ideal shine in the model's hair. It looked "mousy gray." Also, her hair texture looked like the typical Type 3 curl pattern that facilitators usually use to demonstrate their relaxers. When will they start using Type 4 curl patterns as models? Type 4 curl patterns are what "real Black hairstylists" have to deal with in the "real World."

Interesting enough, the new Keratin Whipped Creme relaxer comes in a "cool pouch" instead of a plastic tub. In my opinion, "Smart Lye" means be smart about choosing your relaxer.

3 comments:

  1. Hello,

    Do you have an update on the relaxer? I am currently texlaxed (using Just For Me Texture Softener), but would like to switch to a mild lye. Have you used it on any clients with good feedback?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Zoe Rohaker: I never did try the new Soft Sheen Carson relaxer on any clients because many of my clients are working well with their existing relaxer system that I have them on, but you have inspired me to try this relaxer on a hair sample, and I will post my findings on this blog. Hopefully, by January 2014, I will have completed the test on virgin human hair. So please stay tuned. Thank you for writing!

      Delete
    2. I didn't want the relaxer product to expire so I completed the test and posted an updated article (December 2013) on this Smart Lye relaxer. Enjoy!

      Delete