Phenomenal . . .

Phenomenal . . .
Life, Growth, and Connection (This sunflower was nourished by my hands.) 2010; Photography by Benita Blocker. Please become a follower of this blog.

Total Pageviews

Monday, August 29, 2011

Tipping versus Gratuity


Many years ago, an educator told my class that "tips" stand for To "Ensure"/Insure Proper Service. This topic came up tonight as I was leaving a casual restaurant. The tip jar is located at the register. I usually walk back to the register after my meal and put a dollar into it. The crew is very thankful, and I am appreciative of them pouring the remainder of my drink into a "to go" cup and refilling it. I also liked their upbeat spirit. I do not have to tip, but the phrase "to ensure proper service" kept entering into my head. I plan to return to this place, and I want the same good service. So it was a no brainer - the tip really was gratuity at this point. I was showing gratitude and leaving some incentive to remain nice to me on the next visit.

I often leave a tip every night that I am staying at a hotel because different people clean rooms on different days. Leaving money for the cleaning lady every morning, "ensures" me that I get extra perks in the bathroom, etc. I think that I read somewhere in a tipping article that it is recommended to leave some money everyday for the cleaning lady. I am religious about this rule. Tipping the cleaning lady is not always a gratuity, but it is to ensure proper service. Smile.

By now, you can tell the difference between gratuity and tipping. In a restaurant that you eat often . . . I suggest "tipping" even if the service was poor. Why? You guessed it "to ensure proper service" on your next visit. Smile.

Now, when it comes to hair services . . . a committed stylist is always going to take great care of your hair with or without a tip. Also, with the economy being down, most stylists are just happy that you are still patronizing their services regardless of your ability to tip.

The only hair instance that I truly remember where a tip made a difference was in beauty school. As a student, looking back, all of my tools were not as professional as the ones I have now. I remember it taking me what seems like forever to put "hundred million" curls in this lady's head who had a short haircut. She looked gorgeous in the end, but I had the hardest time with either the marcels were too hot or not hot enough. It turns out that they were not tempered properly, but no one told me. Back to the story at hand . . . Well, the lady did not tip me after I slaved over her head. She came back to the beauty school the next week. She said that she had gotten a huge amount of compliments and wanted me to service her again. I was of course "busy." Smile. The other student that serviced her did not style it like I did, and she was not happy. I did not care mainly because I remembered that I felt that she was unappreciative because I took so much time to service her. That is probably why she did not tip me; however, tipping me on her prior service would probably have ensured that I was not too busy to service her again on the next service. Smile. I am more seasoned and mature now. I would not turn down a hair service that someone specifically request for me. I definitely see it as an honor. People have a lot of choices. I appreciate my clients for just paying my mid-range pricing without additional tipping.

This article is just food for thought. We are always paying for some sort of service. I like tipping to ensure good service on my next regular visit. Gratuity may be the difference between leaving 5%, 10%, 15% and 20%. The higher the percentage, then the more you express your gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment