Phenomenal . . .

Phenomenal . . .
Life, Growth, and Connection (This sunflower was nourished by my hands.) 2010; Photography by Benita Blocker. Please become a follower of this blog.

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Product Line Review: Kinky-Curly


I finally bought all the Kinky-Curly components. I did not get excessive crystallization nor flakes by using their "Come Clean" shampoo. Actually, the shampoo bottle says " Oils, butters, silicones, wax and grease must be washed out of your hair before using Kinky-Curly styling products in order to achieve the best results. Products that contain oils, silicones or butters will coat the hair and may result in white residue, flakes or frizzy."

The shampoo is sulfate-free. The detangler "Knot Today" can be used as a leave-in conditioner for coarse hair or a rinse-out conditioner for fine hair.

The "Spiral Spritz" was lightweight, but it did not prevent shrinkage on my coarse, type 4c hair. I think that I will have to experiment with this line some more. I believe - I need the Curling Custard for better control for my hair type. I still saw a few "powder sprinkles" of residue. I think that I overused the Leave-in conditioner before using the Styling aids.

Without a doubt, the synergy of using the whole line yields optimum results.

Type 3 hair - skip the "Curling Custard" unless you are molding your hairline or edges.

Type 4 hair - skip the "Spiral Spritz" unless you want extreme curl shrinkage.

The Kinky-Curly line leaves the hair very soft. Day 5 is usually my best styling day. However, I will have to figure out how to get to Day 5 without product build-up. If I have to start over, Day one starts my count over. I believe that water and "Curling Custard" will be my daily maintenance regimen if I stick with this line. I still like my KeraCare defining Custard regimen. Please see my other articles on daily maintenance hair.

I promised myself to try the whole Kinky-Curly line without crossing over into any other product line. So I am fulfilling my promise. Using Kinky-Curly product line did not cause as much hair curl shrinkage like the Ouidad line, but it was close. Also, I noticed that the Ouidad product line did not moisturize my hair as much as the Kinky-Curly line. The Kinky-Curly line does seem to be very moisturizing and more natural/organic.

1 comment:

  1. The Kinky-Curly line works better with longer hair lengths versus "afros." The models in their print ads have looser curl patterns than I do. I still prefer my KeraCare Defining Custard better than the Kinky-Curly Curling Custard.

    ReplyDelete